Tuesday, June 15, 2010

EXCLUSIVE:INTERVIEW WITH NIGERIAN DESIGNER MUTAYZ MODE




It was an amazing experience when fashion eye naija had a one on one chat with Oke Oyibu, Lagos based designer who owns the label Mutayz Mode.



What is the origin of your label?

It was culled from my native name which is Okemutay and mode which means fashion German.

What was the first piece of clothing you ever designed?

It was an italian linen shirt with patches of batik.
What are the fabrics you like working with?

I work with all fabrics but I have a preference for linen, jersey, denim, lace and ankara. But linen is my best because it's got versatility.
Which international designer would you like to work with?
Oscar de la renta cos his drama speaks to me and I love his gowns.Then Victor and Rolf after I saw their spring/summer 2010 collection.
How long have you worked as a designer?

I worked four years with Blokes and Divas as a partner then I went solo. And this is the fourth year of running Mutayz Mode. WOW! It's been eight years.

What matters to you most as a designer?
Details, even as minute as a button hole, I take special care to getting everything right.
What are your accomplishment as a designer?
I've been able to create a niche for myself in the industry.I have an award as best designer Niger Delta fashion show.I also had the opportunity to show case along side  international designers at the Paris fashion week, South African fashion week and Milan fashion week.
What inspires your designs?
International fashion trends and the climatic changes.
What are the problems you face as a designer in this part of the world?
Power supply is a major set back cos it affects production and ready availability of raw materials and assesories.Not to forget erratic tailoring services.

How do you rate the nigerian fashion industry?
Its fast growing and gradually catching up with it's foreign counter parts.
If you were not a designer what would you have been?
I would have been a full time interior decorator which I also do right now.
What do you have for aspiring designers?
To stick to there dreams, follow up on their passion, be original and wear patience like a jacket.



These are some of his fabulous designs....
By yemi olowu

3 comments:

  1. interesting interview. not sure if i have heard of him though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. . Been trying to get in touch with this designer. i think he's the Best Designer in Nigeria at the moment. Please how can link up with him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megabros, how do you do? Here is d contact for Mutay of Mutayz Mode....
    ask4oke@yahoo.com
    08033297299

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...