Wednesday, October 20, 2010

MEET NIGERIAN CELEBRITY STYLIST DU JOUR DIMEJI ALARA


What was it that made You become a stylist?
It’s been a long way for me. I didn’t start out as a stylist but somewhere along the way I got caught up in it. Besides, fashion for me is inborn. It’s what I grew up knowing and it’s a huge part of my life. I look at it from an artistic point of view because that’s the way I’ve always seen fashion. Though the journey has been a really tough one, I can’t complain. What doesn’t kill you, they say makes you stronger.


How did You get your start?
I’ve worked really hard and I believe that right now, I have only covered one percent of my journey. I had to work for free as an intern in magazines, and when it wasn’t for free, the money was next to nothing. It was a tough beginning but like I said, but I can’t complain, its more than paid off, and this for me is just the beginning of more things to come. Beginnings are always very shaky in whatever it is that you decided to do in life, but your passion and tenacity is what keep you floating.

Who inspires You?
A lot of people inspire me. Outside Nigeria I will say Grace Coddington, Sharon Becker (my former fashion editor at ELLE), Jackie Burger (Editor ELLE South Africa), Anna Wintour, Paulo Coelho and my beautiful mother. In Nigeria, ITS Kelechi Amadi Obi, Betty Irabor...Its an endless list. A lot of people inspire me.

If you should choose any celebrity to make-over who would it be? And why?
Hmmm, this is a tricky one, there are many of them, but I think mentioning them here might be too embarrassing for them. To avoid any embarrassment, I think I’ll pass this one.

Whom or what magazines have You worked for?
I’ve worked with a number of magazines both outside Nigeria and within. Elle, GQ, to mention a few.

What do You love about been a stylist?
Its a wonderful job and I love it. Although like every other job, it comes with its own challenges. For me, being a stylist gives me the opportunity to be very experimenting, and also take a lot of risks. And it also means that a lot of women (clients) put a lot of trust in you and you mustn’t disappoint them. That’s why it’s very painful when the media links me to some of these women, it doesn’t just kill my business but it kills the trust that took a lot of time to create, but again, its one of the challenges I’ve had to face.

What is the biggest challenge when it comes to styling?
Getting the right pieces, trying to avoid damaging items since they have to be returned after the shoot. Geting women to feel comfortable enough with me to be able to dress them up.  As a male stylist, its difficult to gain the trust of these women, but once they trust your work and understand you know what you are doing, then they become more relaxed.

Which celebrity locally and internationally in your opinion has flawless style?
Internationally, I would say Coco Bradolini, Sofia Coppola, Gwyneth Palthrow...here I love Nkiru Anumudu’s fearless style, Ezinne Chinkata...she has a very bold style, for the guys here, I think they need to step up their games, though there are a couple of them who are not doing badly at all.

What are your favorite trends this season?
I am in love with the high shouldered jackets, though its been around for a while, its still very much around.  I love my skinnies too. I think i am really crazy about Balmain’s new leopard jacket and YSL’s Mohawk killer heels, pity I cant wear them...lol.

What are the building blocks of a complete wardrobe?
Essentials are very important. You need to invest in forever pieces. Like a black blazer, a nice classic short, a nice pair of pants, black preferably. There are items that never go out of fashion. You don’t want to change you wardrobe every six months, not at this time of economic crunch.

Name FOUR items no man should have in their wardrobe?
Bell bottoms, oversized shirt(you need to look sharp all the time), three quarter pants(makes you look like  a trader and Pink pants(not masculine enough).

Whose closet are You most likely to raid?
Who’s closet? Hmmm, I think Korede Roberts.

Name your THREE favorite on the budget shopping outlet?
I don’t shop in Nigeria, prices here are not reasonable, and even when the prices are high, you are not getting your money’s worth. If i want to pay so much for an item, it has to be worth the price even if its overpriced. Its time to stop buying things just to be able to say you bought an expensive item. Its time for designers to start justifying why things cost what they do.

What is your biggest fashion faux-pas?
Ah ah ah. I’ve had the opportunity to ask this question to some of the most stylish people in this country and I never once thought this would be directed to me. I cant think of any right now, but I know I’ve made quite alot in my life...lol.

Any future projects you want to share with us?
This is the first time I am ever talking about this in the media, but I am starting a new fashion magazine together with Kelechi Amadi Obi. Its going to be 200 pages there about and its going to be a monthly, so watch out for the best fashion magazine in Africa straight out of Nigeria. Its the real deal, its not a joke. We are brining seriousness into the world of fashion and magazine publishing. I never limit myself and I always aim higher. One lesson I’ve learnt about life is that we are all limitless, we have no boundries, the only limits we have is ourselves, once you tell yourself you can achieve something and you are ready to do the work, then thats it, you’ve broken a barrier.

What advice do you have for aspiring stylist?
I will tell them to be true to their craft and just believe in themselves. Fashion is not a glamorous industry, its alot of hard work. Forget the events and the red carpet and focus on creating some fantastic works. Forget about wanting to be known or be seen, that shouldn’t be your target, let your job speak for you. When you ask a kid now what he wants to be when he grows up he says “i want to be famous”, it wasn’t like that in my days, you wanted to be famous for a reason. I am happy that the styling industry is growing and there are a couple of colleagues doing fantastic things.

Give us a styling tip that you think would be useful to our readers.
Never wear too many colours at once...try to create a focal point.

Below are various shoots and editorials styled by Dimeji Alara.




photo credits: Demeji Alara
By Yemi Olowu


2 comments:

  1. This is Real Talent...I like

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ogundadegbe OluwatosinOctober 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

    he should be featured on sex and the city3...hez good

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...