Monday, August 9, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH REMI BUTTONS OF BUTTONS COUTURE

       Remilekun Manoela Carolino Adamu is  half Brazilian, half Nigerian and CEO of Buttons Couture. She is based in Abuja but runs businesses in Abuja and Lagos.


What is the origin of your label?
Buttons Couture dropped from heaven! I was pondering over a name for my label for a week, I wanted something unique, so I wrote down many names, they didn't click. I closed my eyes and opened them, and I saw the name Buttons in my mind and I ran with it immediately.


What was the first piece of clothing you ever designed?
A shirt made from Adire.

What are the fabrics you like working with?
Linen is my number one. Then silk, chinos and cotton.

Which international designer would you like to work with?
Roberto Cavalli.

How long have you worked as a designer?
Professionally? two years. Unprofessionally, about seven years. What I mean is, I registered my company and went into it more two years ago.

What matters to you most as a designer?
Quality and a promise kept.

What are your accomplishment as a designer?

Registering my label is my number one, then clothing celebrities for major shows in and out of Nigeria. I'll retire when I make a dress for Michelle Obama (laughs).

what inspires your designs?
Buttons!!!

What are the problems you face as a designer in this part of the world?
The "Manage mentality" of staff, lack of professionalism, Improper training, lack of basic amenities, like light!

How would you rate the nigerian fashion industry?
Still growing, so far so good.

If you were not a designer what would you have been?
Architect/interior designer.

What do you have for aspiring designers?
Only those who see the invisible can accomplish the impossible.

Who are your favourite designers locally?
Deola Sagoe! Deola Sagoe!! Deola Sagoe!!!

How do you think the government can support fashion designers?
Have outstanding fashion schools here or invite established fashion schools to open branches here so we don't have to travel to get the skills.

 Where do you see your label in the next ten years?
In every continent of the world.

 Here are some of her button inspired designs







 By Yemi Olowu

2 comments:

  1. when will you start provide audio and videos of your interviews with your guest? I think that they will be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. iam very impreessed wit this keep it up.... all the best

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...