Monday, November 22, 2010

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN


With a fierce look on the runway and eyes that can make a photographer sweat behind his camera,Marcia Okhai is one of Africa's Top models.  She has the longest legs in Nigeria, and with those legs she has conquered her world and we've crowned her Queen Marcia of the runway!

How were You discovered?
I don’t really have a “discovering”  story per say but my first ever fashion show was Dakova’s fashion show in Abuja dec 2007 then I went for Most Beautiful girl in Nigeria pageant  in march 2008 as Miss Kwara, where I came out as one of the top ten and in June I did a fashion show for Monami. So if am to say a discovering story then I’ll start from Monami because it was through him other phases in my life manifested.

How long have You had the passion to become a model?

Hmmm! I have had the passion for “catwalking” (thats what I call it then) the moment Agbani Darego was crowned Miss World. I saw myself in her shoes and vowed I was going to be like her.As I grew older I discovered that beauty queens are totally different from top models and I opted for modeling.

Who are Your inspirations?

Liya Kebede, Jourdan Dunn and  Chanel Iman

Who are the designers You would love to work with? Locally and internationally?

Locally I have worked for about 90 percent of Nigerian top designers. Internationally I would love to walk for Versace, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and all the European and American Top designers

Modelling as a career. Whats the support from Your family like?

It was a very tough thing for my mother to accept as she never allowed me to pursue it for years. I stayed at home and battled her to get support from her and it was a no go area as far as she was concerned but right after MBGN she came around and till date she supports me fully and even get very excited when she sees my works and now I can see the pride in her eyes.

Do You wish to pursue other ventures in the fashion business? What would it be?

Yes and its going to be TV presenting.

What are the challenges You face as a model?

Lots of challenges, but the most important of all is someone automatically labeling me rude and nasty even without knowing me just because I am a model and a pretty face. I keep saying It, that real models are never ever “bitchy” because being nice and having the right attitude is what get you your jobs. All the “bitchy”, “feeling fly”, "nasty attitude girls" who call themselves models, go and check, their records are pure wannabes because they have nothing to show that they've  worked as a model except oh maybe some studio shoot and every one can do that even “the girl next door”. All they do is sit and watch E! and Fashion Tv life, then try to imitate the life style they see on screen, thereby spoiling the image of the real models who work. Am so tired of having people act so surprise of the way am level headed and the next thing they say is “meeting me is beginning to change their perspective of who models are” and am like huh? All my girlfriends and fellow top models are equally nice, Warebi, Isio etc are really nice girls so what are they saying? This particular challenge has affected me in one million ways even to my own love life as a guy who is attracted to me would stay clear because he is afraid I might wash him up because am a model and am very pretty (silly excuse right?) lol “phew”

What agencies do You belong with?
I am with Beth Models Management in Nigeria and Tribes Model management in South Africa

What are the major jobs You've done?

Audi Joburg fashion Week South Africa, Chicken licken television commercial South Africa, Paul I.K Dairo delicious musical video, Flair Magazine June 2010 edition, Tiffany Amber 2010 look book etc


What are Your statistics?

Height 6.0, bust 34 waist 25, hips 34.5

What is the biggest beauty mistake you ever made?

None, don’t think I ever made a beauty blunder.

What is the best trick You've learnt from a make-up artist?

None, because I don’t pay attention to the make up being applied on my face at the back stage. My focus is try not to trip while on the runway and to give the best poses during a photo shoot session. Sorry.

When do you use a Glam squad?

Only when I have a red carpet occasion. On my day to day life I try to be as simple and plain as the girl “Marcia” should be.

What makes you feel beautiful?

my skinny structure, my long legs and face makes me feel beautiful everyday.

Any advice for aspiring models?

that nasty attitude will get you no where sweet hearts, this industry you want to dive into is extra-ordinarily competitive if you are not level headed and very professional, you will be dusted out. That said, get the right pictures, know what is striking and different about you and sell that part out most in your pictures. If its your legs like in my case, I emphasize on my long legs in my portfolio and shove it into the client faces till they get it that Marcia has really long legs. Whatever is striking about you, never you hesitate to bring that part out because who knows, it could be through it that your break through might come from. So the right pictures, the right agency and your passion, zeal and determination will get you there most of all remember God. Kisses Marcia
By Yemi Olowu

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A very interactive interview, feels like am speaking with her directly. Big up! Marcia, love you to pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...