Tuesday, November 30, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH VANGUARD ALLURE'S FREELANCE STYLIST WALE OYERINDE

 
What was it that made You become a stylist?
I've always loved fashion....I've been doing fashion since I can remember,fashion seem to be in my DNA actually (laughs). Fashion styling for me started as a result of wanting to do something that involves my personality and defines my sense of style from my very own perspective. I believe styling goes beyond just putting pieces together, its about interpreting a vision based on ones personal knowledge of fashion and trends, and this has been one of my reasons for becoming a stylist.

 

How did You get your start?
Actually I started out as a young designer, I couldn't sew so I had tailors who do the sewing for me, but like I said....I wanted something that had to do with me without an intermediary, tailors are more of intermediaries that take different directions from what they are being instructed to do. I got tired of this and decided to sit back. Fashion styling started on from that very moment and I've not looked back since then.
 
Who inspires You?
I get inspired by different people on different project. For me, I think the question should be what inspires me...I get inspired by quite a lot of things, music, movies, places, events, past trends etc.For me, I get different inspirations on different projects which is the most interesting part of what I do.
 
If you should choose any celebrity to make-over who would it be? And why?
I'd grab keffi by the shoulders. I think that's one person that needs help with her image. She sings great songs and I think her image should be just as great, but for now..I'm not so impressed and would love to help.
 
Whom or what  other magazines have You worked for?
Hmmm....for magazines I'm still a styling assistant at FAB magazine, I've also styled for RUNWAY AFRICA MAGAZINE. And for personal clients I haven't really had much but I've assisted in styling a few celebrities like Ini Edo, Rita Dominic, Uche Jumbo, Funke Akindele, Ego, Monalisa Chinda, P-square, Nonso Diobi, Mike Ezeruonye, Basket mouth....etc and really its been fun and so much hard work.
 

What do You love about been a stylist?
What I love about being a stylist is the fact that no two jobs are the same. Every job for me is a challenge, I wake up going to set with different visions each time. Its such a great way to get my creative juices flowing and I love every moment of it.
 
What is the biggest challenge when it comes to styling?
Some people think styling is all about the glitz and red carpet glam, it goes far beyond that.You can imagine looking for a pair of green converse shoes in size 45 in the deadly hot sun of the day, or looking for the same design of a t-shirt in xxxl within 6hrs before shoot begins. That's exactly the life of a stylist...quite challenging and very demanding, if you don't have as much to offer, its better to consider another career.

Which celebrity locally and internationally in your opinion has flawless style?
Having a style to me is all about discovering your inner self and translating it on the outside, knowing what suits you best and sticking to it, and so far the celebrity that has made it on top of my list is Rihanna, I believe in image for every celebrity and this is a girl that is always on guard, from her choice of hair do, to her kind of cloths, her tattoo choice at strategic body parts. That's what I call style!


What are your favorite trends this season?
Personally, I can't pick a trend for myself, cos I'm so busy thinking of the next editorial, location or choice of models for a shoot and have little or no time to think for myself. But for styling....I'm so much into tribals this season, I've also been doing lots of print match and collision of the past trends.

What are the building blocks of a complete wardrobe?
I call them the backbone of every closet, these are meant to be timeless pieces that have the tendency to remain in the closet for a life time, I always advice more money to be invested in this section of the closet rather than Fads that come and go with the season.Here is a list of staples for a classic wardrobe.-A little black dress-A classic men's white shirt-A pair of jean-A mans classic watch-Diamonds-A great set of costume jewellery-Flat shoes-A classic high heel pump-and a great bag.

Name FIVE items no woman should have in her wardrobe?
Lol....well...Firstly,a woman shouldn't have heels below 3inches,there are totally unsexy,....unless of cos they are flats. A woman shouldn't have a pair of baggy jeans, they are totally unflattering unless of cos you have so much skin that would make us throw up. A woman shouldn't have anything oversized in her closet...its absolutely tacky...except of cos this is a fad. A woman should avoid matchy macthy pieces in her closet. A woman shouldn't have fake furs or cashmere in her closet.

Whose closet are You most likely to raid?
Victoria Beckham..I'd probably need no stockists for the next one year if I shoot everyday.

Name your THREE favourite on the budget shopping outlet?
Lagos island, Metro market, Ibadan, Cotonou market.

What is your biggest fashion faux-pas?
Head to toe all round brand....that's a big NO...I'd rather pair a prada with an H&M.

Any future projects you want to share with us?
Yeah, there are so many projects, I'd rather have that under cover...lol....fashion eye naija would be the first to know as I unveil.


What advice do you have for aspiring stylist?
I'd tell them to expect the best but prepare for the worse in the industry.

Give us a styling tip that you think would be useful to our readers.
For the fashion and style readers I'd advice you learn how to dress to suit your body type, don't jump on the bandwagon by following the trends, dress to suit yourself, keep it low and learn how to edit.

Photo credit ; Wale Oyerinde

By Yemi Olowu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...